Assistant Editor – part time
Northeast Ohio Parent magazine/Mitchell Media, Inc. is seeking a part-time assistant editor. This is primarily a work-from-home position with a flexible schedule that totals approximately 25-30 hours per month. The ideal candidate is someone who loves copy editing and is passionate about covering local stories focused on resources for families and children in Northeast Ohio.
Northeast Ohio Parent magazine is a local and national award-winning monthly publication that provides the best local resources and information to families in the region.
The assistant editor’s main responsibility is to copy edit the magazine before print publication. Duties include:
- Ensure magazine copy is free of errors, including spelling and punctuation, and fact-check all names, places, websites, references, etc.
- Work with editor to create headlines/subheads.
- Proofread all magazine layouts. Work with the editor and designers to finalize publication copy before press deadline.
- Work with the editor on story and art content for the print publication.
- Attend monthly planning and production meetings.
Ideally, this person will be interested in writing stories and helping cover local events for print or online platforms, as needed and assigned by the editor.
We are looking for a part-time assistant editor with the following attributes:
- Strong proofreading skills are required.
- Proficient in grammar and AP Style.
- Strong communication and people skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings during magazine production.
- Is organized, a self-starter, and able to work independently.
- Strong knowledge in journalism and accurate reporting, including interviewing, writing, and research.
- Journalism or copy editing background is preferred.
Please send resumes to: [email protected]
Northeast Ohio Parent is always looking for talented pros to join the team! Do you share a passion to help us connect with local families through our magazine, website, newsletter, social media and local events?
We look for top-notch writers, photographers, designers, sales people, customer service and social media pros, and more.
Please send your resume or job history and salary expectations to [email protected]