Be an important part of your child’s education with our VIRTUAL School of the Week!
Are you looking for a student-centered education? Do you want to be more involved in your child’s learning? A K12-powered, tuition-free online public school could be the right choice for your family. The Ohio Virtual Academy combines all the elements needed to help your child succeed!
Ohio Virtual Academy (OHVA), an accredited, full-time online public community school for students in grades K-12 who reside anywhere in Ohio, offers an individually tailored education for all students. As part of the Ohio public school system, OHVA is tuition-free, giving parents and families the choice to access the engaging curriculum provided by K12 Inc., the nation’s leading provider of K-12 curriculum and online education programs.
Rigorous & Engaging Curriculum
OHVA offers a rigorous and engaging curriculum that includes courses in language arts/English literature, math, science, history, world languages, art and music, as well as elective and Advanced Placement® courses for high school students. College or career minded students can choose from a broad range of profession-focused courses in order to gain a competitive edge for the future, discover their path after high school or explore a possible college major, including opportunities for advancement in STEM education.
According to a spring 2016 survey conducted by Edge Research, 92 percent of the families with students enrolled in the school during the 2015-2016 school year felt that their child had benefitted academically from the curriculum.
At OHVA state-certified teachers provide instruction, guidance and support, and regularly interact with students and parents via email, web-based classrooms, online discussions, phone and face-to-face meetings. By combining online instruction, hands-on curriculum and the support of Ohio-licensed teachers, OHVA helps students discover their individual learning style.
Individually Tailored Education
OHVA’s classes are designed to adapt to each student’s unique learning style. Students in grades K-8 can determine the pace of the lessons, giving advanced learners the ability to move ahead more quickly than they might be able to in a traditional classroom. These students can also opt to progress more slowly through the lessons and concepts that they find more challenging. This individualization, combined with support from OHVA teachers and the student’s Learning Coach (typically the parent or guardian), encourages understanding of the skills and material, preparing students for high school level classes.
Fun & Informative Activities
In addition to the strong academic foundation provided, OHVA’s active and supportive school community organizes fun and informative monthly activities where OHVA parents, students, and staff share their successes, helpful hints, and more, including:
- Clubs – Students are encouraged to connect and engage in OHVA’s 25 clubs ranging from fun clubs (softball club, Star Wars fan club, and Girl Scouts Connect), to support clubs (Fellowship of Christian Students, Operation Kindness, and The Alliance) to educational clubs (book club, creative writing and literary magazine, and computer science club).
- Student Council – OHVA high school students act as a vehicle of communication between students, faculty, surrounding community and school administration.
- Outings – OHVA has a robust events calendar with meetups in each of the six state quadrants that include spelling bees, picnics, student expos, and even a trip to Washington, D.C.
- OHVA Booster Program – Parent volunteers provide additional opportunities for families to connect, share experiences, and commit to building a better school community.
- Parent Advisory Council – The PAC serves as a parent voice, meeting regularly with the administration to share the learning coach experience, and helping to keep OHVA improving in academics, and offer suggestions to our school leaders.
Go back to directory.