All the sights and sounds of the carnival, from the spectacles to the midway games, are based on science. This science center-created exhibition will take guests behind the curtain for an immersive, multi-sensory experience. Curiosity Carnival embodies the excitement and vibrancy of a carnival atmosphere while examining classic games, rides and experiences through a STEM lens.
Curiosity Carnival, which is included with general admission, features the following hands-on exhibits:
- At Winging It, design and fold paper airplanes, then use an electric launcher to test them out at two large-scale, target galleries.
- On the Midway, practice STEM-rooted strategies to maximize your chances of winning common carnival games.
- Enjoy performances and demonstrations offering a sneak-peek at the science behind popular carnival acts.
- Arrange fabric and props at a Colossal Kaleidoscope to explore how math and mirrors work together to create spectacular patterns.
- “Juggle” the forces of physics at a Giant Mobile and create a unique, suspended sculpture.
- Use physics and symmetry to successfully navigate a tabletop High Wire Challenge and discover how tightrope walkers keep their balance.
- At Clowning Around, style a lion’s mane or a clown’s wig using magnets and iron filings.
- Get creative with light and color at the Luminous Lite Brite.
- Challenge your brain with a series of optical illusions.
- Take a spin in Topsy Turvy Chairs and learn how they use weight and gravity to stay upright.
- Practice your balancing act by finding and lowering your center of gravity on a Rolla Bolla board.
(The Science Center’s fall-winter schedule is 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Closed on Mondays and during all Cleveland Browns daytime home games.)