The Science Center is turning automobiles inside out and exploring the science, technology, engineering and math that makes them go in Vroom! A Car Adventure, opening March 15. From a Tot Garage area for the youngest tinkerers to an exhibit that demonstrates how self-driving cars are able to see using a LIDAR sensor, Vroom! is sure to get every guest’s curiosity racing. Visit Vroom! from March 15 through September 2.
Strap in for a wild ride as you:
- Tinker with aerodynamics and weight distribution while building a car to race on giant Derby Dash ramps.
- Test your reflexes and reaction time using a real drag-racing tree.
- Race against Lenny, a robotic arm, to complete a circuit maze and learn about automation in car manufacturing.
- Explore the “under the hood” mechanisms that help a car function, including pistons, shock absorbers, brakes and differentials.
- Build a gear train and discover the role gears play in a car’s transmission.
- Investigate aerodynamics using our full-body augmented reality wall.
- Experiment with force and motion on our giant “physics playground,” complete with loop-the-loops, winding ramps and customizable magnetic tracks.
- Create a personalized license plate rubbing to take home.
- Design and draw your own car just like the professionals with backlit tracing tables.
- Discover how square wheels can roll smoothly on a specially-shaped road.
- Practice your problem-solving skills at two giant “Rush Hour” puzzle game stations.
- Play mechanic and change a tire, replace the oil, swap out a muffler and more in the immersive “Super Service Center” auto garage