In 1810, Jonathan Hale purchased 500 acres from the Connecticut Land Company for land located in the Cuyahoga Valley. This portion of the country was referred to as the Western Reserve, an area defined by the south shores of Lake Erie to the 41st parallel, just north of Canton, Ohio, and from the western Pennsylvania border 120 miles to the west, close to Toledo.
In June of that same year, Hale made the 646-mile trip to his family’s new land. The trip lasted 28 days and upon his arrival in July, Hale found a squatter living in a cabin on the property. He traded this squatter his horses and wagon for the cabin and began clearing the land. Shortly after, he sent for his wife and children to make the trip and join him on their new farm. Over the course of the next 150 years, three generations of Hales lived on and worked the land in the Cuyahoga Valley.
In 1956, Clara Belle Richie, great granddaughter of Jonathan Hale, bequeathed the family’s farm to the Western Reserve Historical Society. It was her wish that “Hale Farm is to be established as a museum so that the greatest number of persons might learn about the history and culture of the Western Reserve.”
The Western Reserve Historical Society invites visitors to help celebrate the living history of the Western Reserve this summer! Hale Farm & Village is now open to members and the public, Thursday through Saturday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. throughout July and August.
Hale Farm & Village is situated on nearly 100 acres in the Cuyahoga Valley. As such, it is ready to accommodate your visit safely and comfortably. Many of its 32 historic buildings will be open for self-guided experiences. Craft demonstrations like pottery and textiles will occur daily, and other interpretive experiences can be enjoyed across the historic grounds. Guests can enjoy the natural beauty, gardens and nature trails of the living history museum.
Advance ticket purchase is required and available at halefarm.org.