The Ohio & Erie Canalway Association (OECA) has awarded $603,830 to 16 regional organizations for projects and programs within the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area, which includes Cuyahoga, Summit, Stark, and Tuscarawas Counties.
The Ohio & Erie Canalway Association funded the projects through its Strategic Initiative Program, a competitive grant program that funds organizations and political subdivisions that enhance the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area—which extends 110 miles from Cleveland to New Philadelphia, OH.
A diverse array of 2020 projects will receive funding to support the following initiatives:
- Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad: Hot Start and Cab Radio Upgrades, $21,780
- Western Reserve Historical Society: Women & Politics Exhibit, $50,000
- Historic Gateway Neighborhood: Take a Hike 2021 Season, $15,000
- Tremont West Development: Tremont Towpath Integration Plan, $15,000
- Lake View Cemetery Foundation: James A. Garfield Memorial Restoration, $30,000
- Canalway Partners: CLEVELAND History Days 2020, $15,000
- LAND Studio Inc.: Forum Pavilion, $40,000 (pending)
- Summit Metro Parks: Freedom Trail Trailhead, $50,000
- Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park: Boston Mills Historic District Public Space Improvements, $50,000
- City of Akron: Rubber City Heritage Trail Phase 1 Design, $75,000
- Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition: Summit Lake Trail, $75,000
- Downtown Cuyahoga Falls Partnership: Cuyahoga River and Downtown Cuyahoga Falls History Trail, $4,400
- Development Finance Authority: Akron Civic Theater Restoration, $75,000
- Massillon Area Greenways Inc.: Navarre Historical Walking Tour Updates, $2,650
- City of Canal Fulton: Historic Canal Footbridge Repair, $45,000
- City of New Philadelphia: Southside Community Park, $40,000
OECA operates as a regional extension of its two founding organizations: Canalway Partners, representing Cuyahoga County, and the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition, representing the southern three counties of Summit, Stark and Tuscarawas.
For more information, visit ohioeriecanalway.com.