(Family Features) To help children keep and develop this essential skill, Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) has joined forces with Macy’s to help keep kids laughing and learning with enriching summer activities and children’s book favorites. The key to helping children maintain and even improve their literacy skills over the summer is providing access to quality books that they can choose based on personal interests. When children have books readily available to them, they are motivated and empowered to read, helping improve their overall success in school and life.
As a parent, you can help increase your child’s reading ability. Whether it’s playing games, singing songs or taking a trip to the local library – use this time to create new experiences together.
Here are some ways to keep your child reading throughout the summer:
* Have books available in your child’s reach such as activity or coloring books. Do Word Searches with your child or create a story with the characters while coloring.
* Play the alphabet game by finding letters starting from A-Z while in the car or on a walk.
* Play easy word or rhyming games with your child.
* Use sidewalk chalk to make a mural with your family. Don’t forget to title your masterpiece.
* Boost your child’s vocabulary by talking about everything under the sun. Visit the library and check out books for the entire week. Pick one about birds or insects and go on an adventure walk to see if any live in your neighborhood.
Help your kids retain the essential skills they learned in the classroom and plan for a season full of new adventures in reading. You can also provide books and reading adventures for kids who need them most by visiting your local Macy’s store this summer and giving $3. Visit www.macys.com/rif for more details.