Did you know that 90 percent of us don’t get enough vegetables every day? In fact, just 1 in 10 adults are meeting the required fruit and vegetable recommendations, according to a 2017 study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
According to the USDA, most of us need between 1 to 3 cups a day of vegetables (the amount can vary depending on level of physical activity) and 1 to 2 cups of fruits (myplate.gov/eat-healthy/fruits) However, the truth is, most people don’t sit down to eat a big bowl of veggies every day. They usually end up as an afterthought in a side dish.
This is why sneaking veggies into your meals (including breakfast) is such a great idea. It’s a pain- and bother-free way to get more of them into your diet.
I know this tip might fall into the category “I know this, but I don’t do it very often.” Consider this your reminder that it’s time to start. Here are six ideas to get you going:
- Stir spinach or any other green into your eggs —or blend them into a smoothie
- Shred zucchini or carrots into overnight oats or chia pudding — or stir them into your oats while they cook (surprisingly yum!)
- Make a big batch of veggie hash (basically saute a bunch of veggies together) ahead of time, and when it’s time to eat, heat it up and add a poached egg or browned tofu on top.
- Add cauliflower or beets to a smoothie.
- Top your avocado toast with some salsa (yes, salsa counts!).
- Make a grain bowl with leftover quinoa or rice and stir in some spinach and goat cheese while you heat it up. This will keep you feeling full for hours.
You don’t have to overhaul your entire lifestyle to feel healthier and more energized fast.
Sneak some veggies into your breakfast a couple of days this week. Bonus points for posting a photo of your veggie-packed breakfast on Instagram or Facebook Stories and tagging me @thomasfitnessconsulting! If you’re looking for more easy and healthy breakfast ideas, I’ve got a special FREE gift for you that will help. It’s my all-new guide: Protein-Packed Breakfast Recipes! A Protein-Packed Breakfast can help your body repair and build muscle, release hormones that keep you feeling full longer, boost calorie burn, and can even help cut back on nighttime snack cravings. Plus, many of these recipes can be prepped in advance making a quick, healthy, and satisfying breakfast a reality. Ready to shift your breakfast game? Head over to thomasfitnessconsulting.com to download your free copy of Protein-Packed Breakfast Recipes today.